German army's Leopard main battle tank in 2012. File photo: Wikimedia Commons
The main battle tanks Leopard 2, which Germany donated to the Ukrainian Armed Forces, have arrived in Ukraine, according to Spiegel.
The German government approved the decision to hand over 18 main battle tanks Leopard 2 and 40 armored fighting vehicles Marder to Ukraine over two months ago.
In the latest military aid package to Ukraine, Germany has also donated the following military equipment to help Ukraine repel Russian invasion:
- 3 Pionierpanzer Dachs military engineering vehicles built on the Leopard 1 tank’s chassis;
- 100 MG3 machine guns for the Leopard 2 main battle tanks, Marder infantry fighting vehicles, and Dachs engineering vehicles (previously: 30);
- Spare parts for Leopard 2 and Marder;
- 90 drone sensors (previously: 60).
A Ukrainian soldier compared Germany’s Leopard 2 tanks to a Mercedes as he trained with them before their arrival on the battlefield, saying he hoped they would bring a breakthrough in the war.
The German Defense Ministry confirmed that the Leopards are already in Ukraine:
“18 Leopard 2 A6 main battle tanks plus ammunition and spare parts packages arrived in Ukraine today,” the ministry wrote on Twitter.
- Norway delivers eight Leopard 2 tanks to Ukraine
- Spain to send its first 6 Leopard tanks to Ukraine by end of next week, Defense Ministry says – CNN
- Finland to send three additional Leopard 2 mine clearing tanks to Ukraine – Finnish PM
- Sweden to send Ukraine 10 Leopard 2 tanks, Spain four more, Norway with US two NASAMS systems – Ramstein-10 results (updated)
Tags: Germany, Leopard 2, Russian invasion of Ukraine, tanks, Ukraine