Ukrainian defenders of Bakhmut.
Credit: Ukraine's Ground Forces/Telegram
Ukrainian forces continue to press ahead and gain ground on the flanks of Bakhmut (Donetsk Oblast, eastern Ukraine), the Third Separate Assault Brigade of Ukraine’s Armed Forces reported in its official Telegram account.
Ukrainian troops have withdrawn from most of their positions in Bakhmut but press ahead on the city’s flanks. The second assault battalion of the Third Separate Assault Brigade broke through the Russian defense lines 1,730 meters long and advanced 700 meters deep inside the Russian-controlled territory around Bakhmut.
While trying to recapture the positions previously taken by Ukrainian soldiers, the units of the 72nd Brigade of the Russian armed forces were defeated by the Ukrainian troops, the Third Separate Assault Brigade of Ukraine’s Armed Forces reported.
During the heavy fighting on 20 May 2023, Ukrainian forces destroyed Russian armored vehicles and tanks; 23 Russian troops were killed in action, and more than 40 Russian soldiers were wounded, according to the Third Separate Assault Brigade.
- Frontline update: Ukrainians withdraw from most of positions in Bakhmut, conduct HIMARS strikes at Russian reinforcements
- Ukraine maintains control over small portion of Bakhmut – Ground Forces Commander
- Bakhmut is not fully occupied by Russia as of today, Zelenskyy said
- Situation in Bakhmut City critical, Ukraine controls westernmost area – Deputy Defense Minister
- Ukraine’s tactical gains prompt Russian reinforcement in Bakhmut sector – UK intel