Spain plans to send six German-made 2A4 Leopard battle tanks to Ukraine after they undergo repairs, Defence Minister Margarita Robles told lawmakers on 22 February, adding that the number could increase over time, Reuters reports.
“We are repairing right now six Leopard 2A4 vehicles … with the possibility – if needed and if our allies request it – of increasing that number,” she said, according to Reuters, adding the tanks would be ready by late March or early April.
Currently, other NATO countries have promised to deliver 48 Leopard 2 tanks to Ukraine,m according to NATO chief Jens Stoltenberg. Three EU countries were also going to send 178 older Leopard 1 tanks. Poland was also ready to send 60 modernized Soviet-era tanks in addition to its 14 Leopard 2s, while the UK will supply 14 Challenger 14 tanks.
- Netherlands to provide Ukraine with ammo and spare parts for Leopard 2 tanks – De Telegraaf
- Russia likely lost more than half of its operational tank fleet in Ukraine – IISS Military Balance 2023
- Norway to supply eight Leopard 2 tanks to Ukraine, Norwegian Defense Minister says
- Germany, Poland started training Ukrainian soldiers on Leopard 2 tanks (updated)
- Austria doesn’t want to train Ukrainian soldiers on Leopard 2s – Kurier
- Portugal to send Ukraine three Leopard 2 tanks – Portuguese PM