Copyright © 2024 Euromaidanpress.com

The work of Euromaidan Press is supported by the International Renaissance Foundation

When referencing our materials, please include an active hyperlink to the Euromaidan Press material and a maximum 500-character extract of the story. To reprint anything longer, written permission must be acquired from [email protected].

Privacy and Cookie Policies.

“Now we make Russia pay”: EU to transfer first $ 1.6 bn in frozen Russian assets to Ukraine

The $1.6 billion in revenue from immobilized Russian assets will be allocated with 90% directed towards defense and 10% towards reconstruction efforts, as announced by European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen at the Ukraine Recovery Conference 2024.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy and President of the European Commission Ursula von der Leyen.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy and President of the European Commission Ursula von der Leyen. Source: ISPI
“Now we make Russia pay”: EU to transfer first $ 1.6 bn in frozen Russian assets to Ukraine

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen announced that the first €1.5 billion ($1.6 billion) in revenue from frozen Russian assets will be transferred to Ukraine as early as July, in line with international law and while ensuring financial market stability.

The West holds around $300 billion of Russian central bank assets frozen worldwide, with most of them being in the European Union. The discussions on using this money for Ukrainian aid and reconstruction are ongoing. 

Speaking at the Ukraine Recovery Conference 2024 in Berlin on 11 June, Ursula von der Leyen stated that 90% of the funds will be allocated to defense, while the remaining 10% will be directed towards reconstruction efforts in Ukraine.

“My friends we have always said that Russia must be held accountable for its crimes and now we make Russia pay,” von der Leyen said.

She noted that further discussions on how Ukraine can benefit from mobilized Russian assets will be held at the upcoming G7 summit on 13-15 June. 

Earlier, US President Joe Biden confirmed that he agreed with French President Emmanuel Macron to use profits from frozen Russian assets to aid Ukraine, by providing Ukraine with an upfront loan of $2.6-$3.7 billion and secure its financing through 2025.

Read more:

The $ 300 billion question: Why the West does not confiscate Russian frozen assets despite Ukraine war

Reuters: US eyes profits from frozen Russian assets to provide Ukraine urgent aid

Financial Times: Orbán holds up Ukraine arms funding from frozen Russian assets

Germany ready to use revenues from frozen Russian assets for Ukraine aid, ministry sources told Reuters

G7 considers €30 bn Ukraine loan using frozen Russian assets

You could close this page. Or you could join our community and help us produce more materials like this.  We keep our reporting open and accessible to everyone because we believe in the power of free information. This is why our small, cost-effective team depends on the support of readers like you to bring deliver timely news, quality analysis, and on-the-ground reports about Russia's war against Ukraine and Ukraine's struggle to build a democratic society. A little bit goes a long way: for as little as the cost of one cup of coffee a month, you can help build bridges between Ukraine and the rest of the world, plus become a co-creator and vote for topics we should cover next. Become a patron or see other ways to support. Become a Patron!

To suggest a correction or clarification, write to us here

You can also highlight the text and press Ctrl + Enter

Please leave your suggestions or corrections here


    Euromaidan Press

    We are an independent media outlet that relies solely on advertising revenue to sustain itself. We do not endorse or promote any products or services for financial gain. Therefore, we kindly ask for your support by disabling your ad blocker. Your assistance helps us continue providing quality content. Thank you!

    Related Posts