Copyright © 2024 Euromaidanpress.com

The work of Euromaidan Press is supported by the International Renaissance Foundation

When referencing our materials, please include an active hyperlink to the Euromaidan Press material and a maximum 500-character extract of the story. To reprint anything longer, written permission must be acquired from [email protected].

Privacy and Cookie Policies.

Over 2,500 people evacuated from Kharkiv Oblast amid continuous shelling

“As of now the enemy keeps pressing in the north of our region. Our forces have repelled nine attacks,” Kharkiv Oblast head says.
Evacuation in Kharkiv Oblast
Evacuation in Kharkiv Oblast, May 2024. Photo: Vyacheslav Madiyevskyy
Over 2,500 people evacuated from Kharkiv Oblast amid continuous shelling

In response to the relentless Russian artillery fire in northern Kharkiv and ongoing fighting between Russian and Ukrainian forces, more than 2,500 residents have been evacuated as of noon on Saturday, according to Oleh Syniehubov, head of the Kharkiv Oblast Military Administration.

“As of now the enemy keeps pressing in the north of our region. Our forces have repelled nine attacks,” he said in his media briefing.

During a national television marathon, Syniehubov explained that 70% of the evacuees have already secured accommodation, while the remaining 30% are in need of temporary housing. The administration is committed to providing temporary accommodations for those in need, and in cases where out-of-region evacuation is necessary, “Ukrzaliznytsia” (Ukrainian Railways) will assist with the rail transport.

Additionally, Syniehubov mentioned the preparation of 830 more places for evacuees, with the potential to increase this number if necessary. Agreements with Ukrzaliznytsia are in place to provide special train services for mass evacuations if required, ensuring continued suburban train services as well.

Syniehubov detailed that the majority of evacuees are from the Volchansk direction, with significant numbers also from the north and Zolochiv direction of the Bohodukhiv district, and fewer from the Kharkiv and Lyptsi areas.

Related:

You could close this page. Or you could join our community and help us produce more materials like this.  We keep our reporting open and accessible to everyone because we believe in the power of free information. This is why our small, cost-effective team depends on the support of readers like you to bring deliver timely news, quality analysis, and on-the-ground reports about Russia's war against Ukraine and Ukraine's struggle to build a democratic society. A little bit goes a long way: for as little as the cost of one cup of coffee a month, you can help build bridges between Ukraine and the rest of the world, plus become a co-creator and vote for topics we should cover next. Become a patron or see other ways to support. Become a Patron!

To suggest a correction or clarification, write to us here

You can also highlight the text and press Ctrl + Enter

Please leave your suggestions or corrections here


    Euromaidan Press

    We are an independent media outlet that relies solely on advertising revenue to sustain itself. We do not endorse or promote any products or services for financial gain. Therefore, we kindly ask for your support by disabling your ad blocker. Your assistance helps us continue providing quality content. Thank you!

    Related Posts