On 26 June, Ukraine’s Deputy Defense Minister Hanna Maliar officially announced the liberation of Rivnopil in southern Donetsk Oblast.
“The defense forces have returned Rivnopil to our control. We keep moving forward,” she wrote on Telegram.
Ukraine has two Rivnopils, both located in Donetsk Oblast in the vicinity of the frontline – one in Volnovakha District, another in Velyka Novosilka District. Ms. Maliar has not specified which of them has been liberated. Still, since Ukrainian troops recently approached the one near Velyka Novosilka from three sides and the battles were reported in the area, she probably means this one.
The area of Velyka Novosilka has been one of the most active axes of Ukrainian advancement in the country’s south.
- Ukrainian troops advance 1-2 km in six directions near Bakhmut, capture 17 km² in south – Defense Ministry
- Russian occupiers kill two Ukrainian teens accused of being partisans in occupied Berdiansk
- Ukraine starts offensive in Bakhmut area in several directions at once – Defense Ministry
- Ukraine liberates area near Donetsk occupied since 2014, the military confirms
- Russian missile hits Odesa warehouse as air defenses destroy 13 other air targets