Map of the situation on Bakhmut's western outskirts as of 20 and 22 May 2023, according to Deepstatemap.
On 22 May, Ukraine’s Deputy Defense Minister Hanna Maliar again reiterated that Ukrainian troops maintain control of “certain facilities and the detached home neighborhood in the ‘Airplane’ area” in Bakhmut. She claimed Ukrainian control over the mentioned easternmost area of Bakhmut on 20 and 21 May.
“The situation in the Bakhmut sector has not changed significantly since yesterday. The fighting continues,” she wrote, adding that “The enemy is conducting a cleanup in the areas of the city he has taken control of.”
Also, fighting for the dominant heights on the northern and southern flanks continues, with Ukrainian forces not allowing the Russians to gain a foothold there, according to her. The Russian forces are deploying additional forces and equipment.
The latest update of the military map by the OSINT project Deepstatemap, however, shows Russian recent gains in the city with its Ukrainian-controlled part much smaller than two days ago.
- Russo-Ukrainian War. Day 452: Russia’s Wagner claims Bakhmut
- Ukrainian forces keep advancing on flanks around Bakhmut
- Ukraine maintains control over small portion of Bakhmut – Ground Forces Commander
- Bakhmut is not fully occupied by Russia as of today, Zelenskyy said
- Frontline update: Ukrainians withdraw from most of positions in Bakhmut, conduct HIMARS strikes at Russian reinforcements
- Situation in Bakhmut City critical, Ukraine controls westernmost area – Deputy Defense Minister