Situation in and around Bakhmut, Donetsk Oblast, as of 14 April 2023. Map: Liveuamap.
In its latest intelligence update on the situation in Ukraine, the UK Defense Ministry reports an intensified assault by Russian MoD and Wagner forces on Bakhmut in Donetsk Oblast, with Ukrainian forces facing significant challenges but making orderly withdrawals.
The ministry tweeted:
- “Russia has re-energised its assault on the Donetsk Oblast town of Bakhmut as forces of the Russian MoD and Wagner Group have improved co-operation. The Ukrainian defence still holds the western districts of the town but has been subjected to particularly intense Russian artillery fire over the previous 48 hours.”
- “Wagner assault groups continue to conduct the main advance through the centre of town, while Russian airborne forces (VDV) have relieved some Wagner units securing the northern and southern flanks of the operation.”
- “Ukrainian forces face significant resupply issues but have made orderly withdrawals from the positions they have been forced to concede.”
- Two American volunteer soldiers killed fighting in Ukraine – ABC News
- Russia’s cancelled WWII victory parades posed risks for exposing its losses in Ukraine – UK intel
- Frontline update: Russians did not secure positions in Bakhmut, intensified flank attacks
- Frontline update: Russian progress in Bakhmut has stalled
- Russia controls three quarters of Bakhmut – ISW
- Six Ukrainian border guards held the position in Bakhmut for 3 hours before reinforcements arrived
Tags: Bakhmut, Donetsk Oblast