Ukraine will start receiving Denmark’s Leopard 1 tanks before summer, up to 100 can be sent in total, Denmark’s Acting Defense Minister Troels Lund Poulsen said at a briefing with Ukrainian Defense Minister Oleksii Reznikov in Odesa on 10 April, Ukrinform reports.
“We will start delivering Leopard 1 tanks to Ukraine before summer. And then, hopefully, looking half a year ahead, it will be possible for us to donate about 100 Leopard 1 tanks, and that, I’ll say, would be a substantial thing for Ukraine’s army,” Poulsen said.
Also, the Ukrainian troops are now trained in Denmark to operate the French-made Caesar self-propelled howitzers, which Ukraine might receive next month, according to him.
The Kampfpanzer Leopard 1 first entered service in 1960s. Denmark has Leopard 1A5 tanks, an upgraded version from the 1980s, having an updated fire control system and night vision.
- Denmark establishes USD 1 bln fund to aid Ukraine – Reuters
- Denmark’s Defense Minister “open” to looking at the donation of Danish fighter jets to Ukraine
- Danish Defense Minister hopes Ukraine will receive first Leopard 1 tanks in spring
- Denmark hands over Ukraine all of its 19 Caesar howitzers – Ukraine’s Defense Ministry
- Denmark to train Ukrainian troops on Danish soil
- Three EU countries to deliver up to 178 Leopard 1 tanks to Ukraine – Bloomberg
- Germany approves Leopard 1 delivery to Ukraine, wants purchase back Gepards from Qatar for Ukraine – media