Situation around Bakhmut, Donetsk Oblast as of 9 April 2023. Map: Liveuamap.
The Wagner Group PMC keeps sustaining heavy losses in Bakhmut, causing the Russian command to send elite army units, including paratroopers, to capture the city. This was announced by Serhii Cherevatyi, the spokesman for the eastern grouping of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, on the national telethon, UNIAN reports.
According to him, the Russians are not reinforcing their grouping, but are taking forced measures due to systematic and enormous losses as the Wagner Group faces challenges in replenishing their losses, especially after the flow of Russian prisoners has decreased.
“The fact that paratroopers emerged there is not a reinforcement, but [it’s because] Wagner is taking very heavy losses. That is why the enemy is forced to bring up additional units of regular troops – paratroopers and motorized riflemen – in order to replenish the grouping in this direction. Otherwise, it won’t be able to conduct such aggressive dynamic military actions in this direction,” Cherevatyi said.
He noted that the losses among these units sent to assault Bakhmut are also significant. Furthermore, Cherevatyi stated that Russia does not have a large pool of prepared reserve paratroopers, which is why they are being supplemented with mobilized troops.
- Russian forces using artillery to offset their degraded offensive capabilities – ISW
- Frontline update: Ukrainians demolish Russian advances in Bakhmut with tanks
- Russian troops advanced nearly 1 km in the city of Bakhmut – UK intel
- Ukraine won’t withdraw from Bakhmut now, may if encirclement risk rises – Zelenskyy
- Wagner Group expected to free convict soldiers, exacerbating its personnel issues – UK Intel
Tags: Bakhmut, Donetsk Oblast, PMC Wagner