Vyshyvanka March in Kyiv, May 2016 (Image: UNN.com.ua)
Article by: A. N.
Several thousand people wearing Ukrainian ethnic costumes joined the “Vyshyvanka Mega-March” organized for the Day of Kyiv in the country’s capital city. After the Russian military aggression in Crimea and the Donbas, the national identity became very important to an ever increasing part of Ukrainian society and national symbols like vyshyvankas and these marches have become popular. The beauty of the bright Ukrainian ethnic clothing combined with the beauty of people wearing it produce very compelling and interesting images. These pictures from the march were taken by the UNN Ukrainian National News Information Agency.
- 5 ways to wear Ukrainian vyshyvanka
- Secret ancestral codes: 12 main symbols in Ukrainian embroidery
- Vyshyvanka Day 100 years ago and today: Interactive map of Ukrainian embroidered shirts
- Legend of the vyshyvanka (traditional Ukrainian embroidered shirt)
- Scandal in the international camp: advisor with striped ribbon vs children in vyshyvankas
- Graduates of gymnasium in occupied Sevastopol come to graduation ceremony wearing vyshyvankas (PHOTO REPORT)