Who: activists around the world
What: will hold an international day of support for Nadiya Savchenko
Where: around the world and in the internet
When: 26 January, 2015
JOIN! One Million tweets for #FreeSavchenko
On January 26, help us reach 1 000 000 tweets to #FreeSavchenko
Click-to-tweet from this page – it’s as easy as that!On 26 January 2015, the day of a PACE meeting where Nadiya Savchenko was delegated to represent Ukraine were she not imprisoned in Moscow, an international day of support for her will take place under the hashtag #FreeSavchenko. Activists around the world will join efforts to cast a light on the Ukrainian pilot’s and POW’s illegal abduction and imprisonment in Moscow. Our objective is to prompt politicians to speak up and demand her release and for the worlds media to pay attention to Nadiya’s plight. Nadiya is more than a hostage; she has become a symbol of Ukraine resisting Russian invasion.
Nadiya is fully aware of the campaign and has thanked her supporters in a letter that she passed via her lawyer Mark Feygin; she’s also used the #FreeSavchenko hash tag in a recent letter and stated she has “high hopes” for the 26th.
Everyone around the world who cares about her fate can join the campaign to set her free by taking part in the twitter storm. Our target on the 26th is to achieve One Million #FreeSavchenko tweets. Other ways to support are to sign a petition to PACE President Anne Brasseur, and sign on to the thunderclap launched in her name.
The park in front of Warsaw’s Russian embassy now carries her name, and other parks are appearing in cities around the world. Hundreds of images and videos are being created in her support and rallies are planned to take place in at least 16 cities around the world.
Thanks to the twitter storm that was initiated on 5 January 2014 by @GlasnostGone, the US State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki called on Russia to release Savchenko. The EU Parliament also demanded her release and US Congress member Bill Pascrell recently called upon Russia to release Nadiya and urged Congress members to support the Campaign. US Ambassador in Ukraine G. Pyatt has been a major supporter of the campaign, alongside the US representative to OSCE Daniel Baer and the Canadian Ambassador to Ukraine R. Waschuk.
The petition to release Savchenko was handed to PACE President Anne Brasseur during her visit to Kyiv, likely leading to the statement of the EU Parliament to release Nadiya, and is still gathering signatures.
Nadiya Savchenko began a hunger strike protesting against her imprisonment. Thus far she has lost more than 12 kilograms and her sister Vera has said the hunger strike “is having a severe effect on Nadiya’s physical state.”
On hunger strike since 13th Dec, she has stated in a letter that she will either die in Russia, or be released; she’s said it is God’s will whether she lives or dies.
Ways to get involved:
- Join the One million tweets to #FreeSavchenko twitter storm on January 26
- Tweet with #FreeSavchenko
- Sign the petition to Anne Brasseur
- Sign on to the thunderclap to #FreeSavchenko
- Organize a rally to #FreeSavchenko in your town (for the list of rallies already planned check the twitter storm FB event; on January 24 there were 31)
- Name a park in Nadiya’s name
- Take a photo with a sign to #FreeSavchenko and tweet/post it, create an image with #FreeSavchenko (find inspiration here), make a video, write about her
For more information please contact:
Alex King @GlasnostGone, Glasnostgone @ aol.co.uk
Alya Shandra @AlyaShandra, alya.shandra @ gmail.com
- Nadiya Savchenko: the POW that became Ukraine’s poster girl for independence
- Russia jails the proof it is at war: Column
- PACE President to Chairman of RF Duma: Free Savchenko!
- Park named after Savchenko appeared in Warsaw in front of Russian embassy
- Movements.org helps Ukrainian rights activist Nadiya Savchenko. Expands support for Human Rights in Ukraine
- Nadiya Savchenko from prison: Thank you for 26 January #FreeSavchenko!
- Putin and Savchenko: Diagnosing state idiocy
- Nadiya Savchenko will not end her hunger strike nor let them break her spirit
- PACE: Nadiya Savchenko’s health is critical, release her now!
- Russia silent as Nadiya Savchenko enters fourth week on hunger strike
- Nadiya Savchenko to continue her hunger strike indefinitely after appeal rejected
- Nadiya Savchenko: I’m sick of Russia and your lying courts
- Hope for Nadiya Savchenko: Global Action January 26 #FreeSavchenko
- Nadezhda Savchenko: “I am on hunger strike to get some common sense out of the Russian government and conscience from the Investigative Committee #FreeSavchenko
- Savchenko protesters detained while listening to Ukrainian anthem (in Russia)
- What More Needs to be Done to Defend Nadiya Savchenko: Investigating the Case of the Killed Journalists
- Ukraine Pilot Nadiya Savchenko Confronts Her Kremlin Captors
- Heroine of Ukraine’s war with Russia vows to continue hunger strike
- Ukraine’s Dignified Warrior: Nadiya Savchenko Confronts the Kremlin
- Nadia Savchenko: The most controversial prisoner of the war in Ukraine
- Appeal to the world psychiatric community on behalf of Nadiya Savchenko
- Ukrainian pilot Nadia Savchenko is being held in Russian prison
- Russian court: Savchenko not abducted
- List of political prisoners skyrockets in Russia
- Nadiya Savchenko: an ordinary young woman that became a symbol of freedom – Soviet dissident
- Worldwide campaign to free Nadiya Savchenko: why it matters
- The #FreeSavchenko campaign: from hashtag to PACE resolution
- Putin’s Hostage
- Why is Germany collaborating on detention of Nadiya Savchenko?
- Who is Nadiya Savchenko? Video from the creator of Top-75 StopFake review
- Why Nadiya Savchenko must be freed: Russia has committed a war crime against her and Ukraine – legal opinion
- Print a leaflet to #FreeSavchenko. Ukrainian, Russian, English, French, Czech, German, Spanish, Polish, Italian
- Nadiya Savchenko from prison: I am not afraid and not giving in!
Clip to support the kidnapped Ukrainian pilot Savchenko released by TV channel Ukraine Today together with Ukraine’s MFA (German, French, Ukrainian, Portugese in link):
By Mykhailo [email protected], download hi-resolution version
by Alex King @GlasnostGone,
By Ev Melekhovets @ev_melekhovets
Lots of more graphics in FB album on Euromaidanpress
- Nadiya Savchenko FB page in English
- Project http://savesavchenko.tsn.ua
- Petition to PACE President
- FB page of event to rename park in Savchenko’s name: Plant a park for Nadiya
- Map of rallies worldwide: