Withdrawal of Ukrainian troops delayed due to ceasefire violations — Lysenko

 

More

According to the Minsk agreements, the withdrawal of troops must take place simultaneously with the enemy and only after a complete ceasefire.

Ukrainian soldiers will withdraw from their positions only if there is a complete ceasefire along with a an analogous and simultaneous withdrawal by Russian militants. Meanwhile, the militants are violating the ceasefire, which is the key point of the Minsk memorandum, making the execution of the other agreements impossible, Ukrainian Security Council spokesman Andriy Lysenko said at a press briefing in Kyiv on Sunday, September 21, as reported by Dzerkalo Tyzhnia

“One of the main points (of the Minsk agreements) is the principle of the ceasefire, followed by the other points. For now, the first point is not being observed. We’re not addressing the other ones yet,” Lysenko said. He added that the withdrawal of Ukrainian units to a certain distance will take place only with the “simultaneous withdrawal of Russian troops.”

Lysenko noted that units of the Armed Forces of Ukraine and the other security services will continue to observe the ceasefire that has been in effect since September 5. “However, the terrorists and the Russian military are continuing to shell the positions of ATO forces despite the memorandum on the ceasefire obligations that was signed in Minsk on Friday,” he said.

According to Lysenko, militants have been shelling roadblocks and positions of ATO forces near 22 population centers for the past 24 hours in addition to conducting  a fire raid  on the Donetsk airport.

He emphasized that Ukrainian soldiers open fire only in response to attacks by the militants in order to protect themselves when there is imminent danger to life. Lysenko confirmed that over the past 24 hours, some 40 militants had been eliminated, as well as one Grad RZSO BM-21 multiple rocket launch system and two cannons.

As has been reported, on Friday, September 19, a new “peace” memorandum was signed in Minsk, which called for the withdrawal of troops in the Donbas as part of the 30-kilometer buffer zone.

Translated by: Anna Mostovych
Source: DT.ua

Since you’re here – we have a favor to ask. Russia’s hybrid war against Ukraine is ongoing, but major news agencies have gone away. But we’re here to stay, and will keep on providing quality, independent, open-access information on Ukrainian reforms, Russia’s hybrid war, human rights violations, political prisoners, Ukrainian history, and more. We are a non-profit, don’t have any political sponsors, and never will. If you like what you see, please help keep us online with a donation!

Tags: , , ,