What was Euromaidan?
With Euromaidan, Ukrainian society made a choice to definitely leave the Soviet era behind and become part of the free and democratic world. The rebellion against tyranny was guided by a dream of a society governed by law and justice. On this page, we offer you a taste of the revolution and what it means for Ukraine and the region.
Experience what it was like to be part of Euromaidan with our collection of insider materials about the protests.
- A virtual tour of the protester's grounds
- App brings key Euromaidan revolution sites to virtual life
- Faces of Maidan - portraits of the protesters
- Meet the Hard-Working Ukrainians Helping to Keep Euromaidan Alive
- Physicians at Maidan - portraits of the doctors at Maidan
- My Maidan. A tribute to the revolution that changed us forever - describes life on Maidan
- The day Euromaidan turned violent, one year after - after 19 January 2014 Maidan entered its violent phase
- Euromaidan participants remember turning point of protests two years after - lots of fiery photos
- Protests took place in other cities too. Here is an anthem of the Euromaidan in Odesa, a southern Ukrainian city
- An interactive timeline of the deaths of Ukrainians in the last days of the Euromaidan revolution four years ago in central Kyiv by Texty.org.ua
See all our articles about Euromaidan here.
Some of the best analysis about Euromaidan and its significance.
- Ukraine for Dummies – Part 1: The Revolution - a FAQ about what's happening in Ukraine
- Rebirth of a nation - a post-Soviet generation reached adulthood
- Francis Fukuyama: “Euromaidan is a grand battle for the spread of democratic rule”
- Ukraine: from the middle ages to a new world - how Euromaidan propelled Ukraine into a new era of social relations
- “Maidan Has Not Succeeded…Yet!” - Maidan will succeed when Ukrainians live in a democratic society
- Corruption you can’t imagine - a dictatorship of oligarchic cronies is what Euromaidan rebelled against
- The price of pricelessness — Europe, Ukraine and Maidan - about Ukrainians dying for European values on Maidan
- Maidan and its significance. A historical retrospective
- What did Ukraine’s Euromaidan revolution really achieve? Reflections in 2021
- Why have two revolutions won in Ukraine but none in Russia or Belarus? Historian Hrytsak answers
Many films have been created about Euromaidan. Here is a selection of our favorites, many available online
- Eleven films about Euromaidan you can watch online - a good compilation of films easily accessible online.
- Generation Maidan: A Year of Revolution & War — a film supporting prosthetics for Ukrainian civilians & soldiers maimed by war. Available on Vimeo for $5 which goes to charity
- Ten movies about Maidan - BBC's selection of films. Maidan. The Art of Resistance, Maidan Massacre, The Female Faces of Revolution
- Heaven’s Hundred - by Babylon'13 - a film about the Euromaidan protesters murdered on Maidan. Available on Youtube
The winter that changed us - a series of Babylon'13 films all available on Youtube
Maidan - a documentary by Serhiy Loznitsa. Available on Youtube
- WINTER ON FIRE: Oscar-Worthy Documentary on Ukraine’s Euromaidan Revolution. Available on Netflix
- Film20. Twenty testimonies about the turning point of the Maidan - 20 interviews with Maidan activists who witnessed the deadliest day of the protests, 20 February 2014
Drones capture bird's eye view of Euromaidan
The Maidan square in Kyiv gathered up to a million people at one time. Drones captured it all - during protests in the day and a concert in the night. Watch this footage to get a feeling of the spirit of Euromaidan.
Responsibility for Euromaidan massacre
107 Euromaidan activists were shot dead by Yanukovych's regime in 2014. Here is what we know about the culprits: Separating myth from reality: 6 facts on the shooting of the Euromaidan protesters
Decade-long Euromaidan massacre trial ends with life sentence for 1 officer. A Kyiv court has delivered limited justice for the deaths of nearly 50 protesters shot in February 2014, and disproved conspiracy theories about the involvement of alleged “foreign snipers” in the Ukrainian capital. However, true justice is yet to be delivered: the bigwig perpetrators are fugitives in Russia.
Teaching about Euromaidan
A primer composed by physics teacher Borislaw Bilash II contains everything you need to give a lecture or presentation about Ukraine's newest history.
Maїdan Inferno - a play about Euromaidan. The first Ukrainian play to make it to the French stage was about Euromaidan.
The Heaven's Hundred
Confused about events in Ukraine? We don't blame you. The protests started when then-President Yanukovych declined to sign the Association Agreement with the EU at the end of November 2013 and escalated into a de-facto revolution that left a hundred dead. Immediately after, Russia started a stealthy annexation of Crimea and takeover of South-Eastern Ukraine. The latter, being unsuccessful, has led to a frozen conflict in Donbas with which Russia hopes to continue to destabilize Ukraine. Here is the a short yet comprehensive guide through the chronicle of newest Ukrainian history - the Euromaidan revolution and subsequent Russian occupation and hybrid war. By Borislaw Bilash II, author of Primer about Russia's hybrid war.
Euromaidan as a formative element of the Ukrainian nation
rebirth of the Ukrainian nation,
and the German debate on Ukraine’s national identity
A brief glance into history reveals what a definitive role Euromaidan has played in the formation of the Ukrainian nation. This article by Winfried Schneider-Deters explores how Ukraine’s recently won independence is under threat, how Putin became a midwife of the Ukrainian nation, bilingualism and the war of secession in Donbas, delves into issues of Patriotism/‘positive nationalism’ in Ukraine, and contributes to the recent German debate on Ukraine being an 'artificial nation’.
Follow Euromaidan Press
We are an independent voice of Ukraine building a bridge between Ukraine and the world by providing news and analysis from professionals and enthusiasts. Founded in January 2014 as the Public Relations Secretariat of the Headquarters of National Resistance of Euromaidan.