Ukrainian border guards in northern Ukraine’s Chernihiv Oblast discovered a large object drifting from Russia to Ukraine along the Desna River, Ukraine’s Border Guard Service reported. The object turned out to be a military pontoon bridge.
“Border guards in Chernihiv Oblast watched the suspicious structure until it was stranded near the Desna Bank on Ukrainian territory. It turned out to be a pontoon bridge, which until recently served as a crossing point for Russians. […] Sappers have determined that the metal structure is not a threat,” the report reads.
Ukraine’s defense forces will use the unexpected war trophy in their operations.
The Russian military's pontoon bridge drifted along the Desna River, "defecting" from Russia and ending up stranded on Ukrainian territory, becoming an unexpected war trophy for Ukrainian forces.https://t.co/xuEOf7yw5o pic.twitter.com/rqo9RduPpb
— Euromaidan Press (@EuromaidanPress) January 7, 2024
Russians withdrew their troops from Chernihiv and Sumy oblasts early in their full-scale invasion of Ukraine, back in March 2022. However, they continued to harass the border communities carrying out regular shelling and air attacks on the settlements and sending saboteur groups to attack Ukrainian border guard patrols and other members of the defense forces.
- Frontline report: Pontoon bridges bolster Ukrainian logistics near Krynky bridgehead
- France provided 1,000 tons of humanitarian aid for Ukraine including ambulances, pontoons
- Russian forces strike Chernihiv Drama Theater, causing 97 casualties (updated)
- Ukraine repels cross-border raid in northern Chernihiv Oblast
- UNESCO mission initiates assessment of damage to cultural heritage in Chernihiv Oblast caused by Russian troops
- UK intel: Krynky battles undermine Russian hopes for quiet Dnipro sector