Despite gradual Russian territorial gains in the devastated town of Marinka west of Donetsk City in eastern Ukraine by capturing roads to advance west, a major advancement in southeast Ukraine stays highly improbable, according to the British Defense Ministry’s December 15 intelligence update.
The ministry tweeted:
- Heavy fighting continues for control of the destroyed town of Marinka and its surrounding areas in southeastern Ukraine. Russia has likely further reduced the small pockets of Ukrainian controlled territory remaining within the town boundary.
- One of Russia’s operational objectives in the area is likely to secure the 00510 and N15 highways to eventually advance further west towards the town of Kurakhove.
- Despite its incremental advances, a major, operationally significant Russian breakthrough in this sector remains highly unlikely.
- Commander Tarnavskyi denies “complete capture” of Marinka by Russians
- Russian forces make incremental gains in Marinka, as Ukraine controls parts of the town
- Military: Russia lost 5,000 troops near Avdiivka, Mariinka in two weeks
- Military: Russia loses Su-25 aircraft, thermobaric rocket launcher as Donetsk’s Avdiivka holds