US forces are expected to start training Ukrainian soldiers on US-made M1A1 Abrams tanks “in the next week or so,” Pentagon press secretary Brigadier General Pat Ryder told Voice of America on 23 May.
On the condition of anonymity, a senior military official told VOA that about 250 Ukrainians are arriving in Germany this week for the training.
The Ukrainian military will train on 31 Abrams tanks that arrived in Germany earlier this month. The training, lasting approximately ten weeks, will cover tank operations, maneuvering in combined arms combat, and tank maintenance, according to the official.
- Ukraine to receive Abrams tanks by early Autumn – US Defense Secretary
- Ukrainian troops to begin training on US-made Abrams tanks in next few weeks – Politico sources
- Not only Abrams: what else the US provides in its biggest-yet aid packages
- US to send 31 Abrams tanks to Ukraine – Biden
- US leaning toward sending a significant number of Abrams tanks to Ukraine – WSJ sources (updated)