Activist: people stood in line for two hours to return to Donetsk

Activist: people stood in line for two hours to return to Donetsk
Article by: Radio Liberty
Translated by: Mariya Shcherbinina

Kyiv – The government plans to give state-funded assistance to forced migrants, up to 2400 UAH per family, said Prime Minister Arseniy Yatseniuk. Meanwhile civil activists claim that some people who had left the conflict zone but failed to accommodate themselves at their new locations are going back – and not always to free cities.

Citizen of the locality of Semenivka in Donetsk oblast Halyna Antoshkina recently returned home from Kharkiv oblast, where she fled from the attacks. The village is located near Sloviansk and suffered severe damage during combat. According to the woman, her family’s house was almost completely destroyed, and the summer kitchen chimney was damaged by a mine; it was a miracle t failed to explode.

“I called the city executive council today, they said that a truck full of roofing materials departed for Semenivka. I don’t know how they will distribute it, because we have three two-story houses that were damaged and three buildings near the psychiatric hospital buildings that were also ruined, they also need a roof. I don’t know how they will distribute it, how much will each person get, but a truck is nothing,” says Mrs. Antoshkina.

She lives with her friends in Semenivka and works at the local psychiatric hospital. She says they were given another building instead of the ruined one, and now everyone on staff is working on renovation with their own hands.

About sixty thousand people returned to Donetsk oblast, says member of the Committee of Forced Refugees initiative Hennadiy Kobzar. According to him, after the ceasefire was declared, people started returning, and not always to free cities. In particular, the activists speaks of traffic jams upon entry to Donetsk.

“In the first day of the ceasefire, the people would wait 1,5-2 hours. It is clear that half of them went to get their belongings. However, I said 60 thousand, those are the people who went there to live, at least that was their intention,” Kobzar notes.

Meanwhile the Donetsk oblast state administration reports continued artillery fire at individuals buildings on part of the separatists. In particular, according to them, on Wednesday, there was an explosion five meters away from one of the schools; there had been people inside at the moment, four died.

Besides, as the OSA reported, a ‘DNR’ missile hit a marshrutka. Six people died, one was injured.

Yermolayev: they want to build a military-socialist republic of sorts in Donbas

At the moment, third-wave migration from Donbas is underway, notes director of the Nova Ukrayina Institute for Strategic Studies Andriy Yermolayev. According to him the first wave left during the meetings on cessation of these oblasts from Ukraine, the second left at the beginning of summer, when combat just got started. The third wave began in August, when people started going hungry and losing their homes, the expert says. He predicts, however, a fourth wave – the most difficult one.

“The territory under separatist control will be organized differently, the people will be offered different political practices there,” the expert explains. “The program offered to this region will have nothing to do with the local government elections in December, but with the decisions made in November, which Kyiv is not prepared for. There will be an attempt to create a militarist-socialist republic of sorts. And the people will think whether they want to live in this new, so-called society.”

According to the government, as of today about 350 thousand people have left Donbas for other Ukrainian territories. Prime Minister Arseniy Yatseniuk stated the intention to set up government assistance for the next half-year for those who had left the conflict zone in Donbas: 442 UAH per working person, 884 per person unable to work, however, according to him, the total sum per family will not go over 2400 UAH.

Translated by: Mariya Shcherbinina
You could close this page. Or you could join our community and help us produce more materials like this.  We keep our reporting open and accessible to everyone because we believe in the power of free information. This is why our small, cost-effective team depends on the support of readers like you to bring deliver timely news, quality analysis, and on-the-ground reports about Russia's war against Ukraine and Ukraine's struggle to build a democratic society. A little bit goes a long way: for as little as the cost of one cup of coffee a month, you can help build bridges between Ukraine and the rest of the world, plus become a co-creator and vote for topics we should cover next. Become a patron or see other ways to support. Become a Patron!

To suggest a correction or clarification, write to us here

You can also highlight the text and press Ctrl + Enter

Please leave your suggestions or corrections here



    Euromaidan Press

    We are an independent media outlet that relies solely on advertising revenue to sustain itself. We do not endorse or promote any products or services for financial gain. Therefore, we kindly ask for your support by disabling your ad blocker. Your assistance helps us continue providing quality content. Thank you!

    Related Posts

    March 11: The US has introduced new sanctions

    March 11 – Russia continues to arm and train separatists in eastern Ukraine, said NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg (reports Reuters), while answering questions about the information on Russian tanks arriving in Ukraine over the last few days.

    March 11 – Leonid Kuzmin, the organizer of events commemorating the birthday of Taras Shevchenko in Simferopol on March 9, has been threatened with being fired if he doesn't resign "voluntarily". For those of you who are English-speaking and French-speaking – it's like firing someone for being Shakespeare's admirer.

    March 11 – Security Service of Ukraine has said that Russian Major General Alexei Zavizion (aka Alagir) is the head of operations of the militants in Donbas. Although there are no Russian troops in Donbas, according to Putin.

    March 11 – The US has introduced new sanctions against former Ukrainian Prime Minister Mykola Azarov, his Deputy Serhiy Arbuzov, former minister Raisa Bogatyryova, some pro-Russian militants and their Russian supporters, – according to the website of the US Treasury.

    March 11 – The threat to Russian oil industry as a result of sanctions and their implications for companies to attract funds are more serious than the risks associated with falling oil prices, – states the review by international rating agency Fitch Ratings "Russian Oil and Gas Under Sanctions: Technology, Funding More of a Threat Than Weak Oil".

    March 11 – The US has decided to supply Ukraine with remotely piloted aircraft and armoured military vehicles Humvee, – informed US Vice President Joe Biden in his telephone conversation with President of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko.

    March 11 – Russian soldiers are participating in the war in Eastern Ukraine beginning with July 14, 2014.

    This is stated in the report of the British Kingdom United Institute of Defense Research (https://www.rusi.org/)

    According to the document, on that day six reconnaissance detachments, namely: 2nd Brigade of special forces, 10th Brigade of special forces, a group of the 45th Division of Guards special forces of the air assault troops, 173rd Separate Division of Guards Reconnaissance Company, the Reconnaissance Battalion of the 9th Infantry Brigade, the Reconnaissance Battalion of the 18th Infantry Brigade.

    Since August 11th, according to the data of the Institute, in the war in Ukraine, there were already ten tactical groups which were fully involved: 17th Infantry Brigade; 18th Infantry Brigade; 21st Infantry Brigade; 33rd a (mountain) Infantry Brigade; 247th Guard Division Landing-Storming Regiment; 104th Guard Division Landing-Storming Regiment; 331st Guard Division of the air assault troops; 137th Guard Division of the air assault troops; 31st Guard Division Landing-Storming Regiment; 2nd Brigade of special forces.

    The number of pro-Russian fighters, state the analysts, numbers a half of the number of resource of Russian regular army. The main strategic task of the Russian Army units in the the document is named the support of the self-pronounced "republics" in Eastern Ukraine. Also the researchers supposse that that Russia very soon will undertake a new a new attack on Ukrainian positions. The most probable direction is considered Mariupol.

    Anders Aslund: What Putin Can Learn from Stalin's Winter War

    Leonid Bershidsky: Russia is hacking your social media news feed

    Edward Lucas: Answering the critics of a tough Russia policy

    Human Rights Abuses in Russia Occupied Crimea [23 pgs]

    by Andrii Klymenko, Atlantic Council (Washington, D.C.), Freedom House (Washington, D.C.)

    March 2015

    Putin and politics of isolation

    Russia-Ukraine (in caricatures-photogallery)

    P.S.: Please spread this appeal as much as possible.