The Russian Sukhoy Su-35 fighter jets launched missiles from the Black Sea towards Odesa City, Odesa Raion Military Administration reported.
“Thanks to the efficient work of the air defense forces, a portion of the missiles were destroyed, but there were hits that resulted in partial damage to a civilian house. There are injuries; preliminarily, no one was killed. As of 20:40, the fire was contained by the State Emergency Service units,” the administration wrote.
According to the public broadcaster Suspilne citing Odessites, at 19:42, ten minutes after the announcement of an air raid alert, explosions rang out in Odesa. The odor of smoke spread across one of the districts of Odesa. At 20:15, the alarm was canceled.
The Air Force command of the Armed Forces of Ukraine later reported that Ukrainian air defenses shot down two Kh-59 air-to-surface guided air missiles fired by Russian Su-35 fighters from the Black Sea at around 19:40.
The President’s Office says Russians launched four Kh-59s, two slipped through air defenses, hitting Odesa City:
“A three-story building on the territory of a monastery was damaged, we know about three injured people,” the message reads.
The President's Office says Russians launched four Kh-59s, two slipped through air defenses, hitting Odesa City:
— Euromaidan Press (@EuromaidanPress) March 21, 2023
According to an update of the Operational Command South of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, Russian fighter jets launched three missiles, two were shot down, one hit a three-storey building of a monastery by the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate, injuring four people. Three sustained light injuries caused by the blast wave, one was hospitalized.
The local newspaper Dumskaya says its correspondent on the scene reported that a three-story dormitory for pilgrims was damaged on the premises of the monastery.
- How Odesa territorial defense downed $2 million cruise missile with machine gun
- Electricity gradually returns to the south-Ukrainian Odesa after a week-long blackout caused by the latest Russian strike
- Explosion in Odesa: eight victims including five law enforcement officers
- Russian agent detained in Odesa, convicted for 15 years in jail
- How I live without power in Odesa
- Kherson retreat prevents Russia from achieving aspired land bridge to Odesa – UK intelligence
- Residents of south-Ukrainian Odesa city voted to dismantle the monument to Russian empress Catherine II
- Three Russian X-59 missiles fired in the direction of Odesa were shot down