The Russian delegation’s return to PACE without fulfilling the obligations imposed by the resolutions of this organization, as well as the restoration of all the powers of the delegation, will lead to a result opposite of what the naive Europeans are counting on.
- Read also: Russia ignores PACE resolutions to end aggression against Ukraine. So PACE prepares to lift sanctions
This will not lead to an improvement in the protection of the rights of Russian citizens (changes in the Federal Constitution Law “On the Constitutional Court,” allowing the Russian authorities to selectively implement the decisions of the European Court of Human Rights, were adopted in 2015. And just in a few days, the Supreme Court is going to consider a similar resolution).
This will not strengthen Russian civil society. On the contrary, with the help of Kremlin grants, pseudo-human rights GONGOs will send dispatches of “human rights activists” to PACE. They, with shrieks and Komsomol enthusiasm in their eyes, will tell you how great things are with human rights in Russia, adding, however, a few vegetarian details about “local excesses” for plausibility.
- Read also: “You can’t bow down to the offender” – Memorial’s Gannushkina on PACE’s push to lift Russian sanctions
This will only worsen the situation with political prisoners in Russia, both with Russian citizens and Ukrainian citizens alike. Including new hostage-taking, unjust sentences, harassment, and torture in prisons and colonies.
This will help the Russian authorities continue to corrupt and destroy the European establishment from the inside. Their main goal is to form a weak and compliant Europe which is not able to defend democratic values and human rights. Onto which one can impose one’s own, obviously unfavorable conditions.
The main beneficiary of the transaction to return the Russian delegation to PACE are the Russian authorities, and not at all Russian citizens, as apologists for this shameful comeback argued from the podium.
The Europeans wanted so long and so badly to correct the Russian authorities, to change that notorious “Putin regime” and make it more humane, that they did not notice how they themselves changed at some point. And not for the better.
- How recent PACE resolution invoking Geneva convention will help free Ukrainian sailors captured by Russia
- PACE destroys sanctions mechanism, allowing return of Russian delegation
- No limits for Russia: how PACE agreed to lift sanctions on the aggressor
- French expert says West would be foolish to indulge Russia in PACE
- PACE resolution to lift sanctions on Russia “strategic defeat for human rights defenders” – Professor of European law
- Relatives of Ukrainian hostages of the Kremlin ask PACE to prevent lifting Russia sanctions
- Please reject efforts to weaken the Council of Europe – uphold PACE’s sanction powers
- I leave you, I leave you not. How Russia tricked the Council of Europe into self-amputating its powers
- Russia’s return to PACE would end Council of Europe as human rights instrument – Ukraine’s ambassador to CoE