Copyright © 2024 Euromaidanpress.com

The work of Euromaidan Press is supported by the International Renaissance Foundation

When referencing our materials, please include an active hyperlink to the Euromaidan Press material and a maximum 500-character extract of the story. To reprint anything longer, written permission must be acquired from [email protected].

Privacy and Cookie Policies.

Ukrainian university know-how will save lives of hundreds of soldiers

Ukrainian university know-how will save lives of hundreds of soldiers
Translated by: Christine Chraibi

Two drones were recently presented to Ukrainian military personnel.  They were prepared and developed by professors and students of Vinnytsa National Technical University.

The drones will undergo state inspection at the Chernihiv training grounds and will then be delivered to the front lines.

“We don’t see what’s really happening on the front lines…” say the soldiers “These drones will be our eyes and will save the lives of hundreds of our men.”

prezentaciia-bezpilotnyka-vinnyckyi-politeh-1

The engineering systems were prepared and developed at Nebesna Dolyna (Sky Valley), the University’s educational centre for the development of radio and engineering systems and technical devices.

“It was just an idea at first… and then we created a team of specialized developers.” says Oleksandr Pilhanchuk, a demobilized volunteer.

The team received support and funding from the Regional State Administration and began working on the project…

“The drone was just 20% of the work. The other 80% was devoted to training operators, building the control station and developing the aerial reconnaissance system. In short, it was a complex task.” says Professor Serhiy Pavlov, vice-rector of Vinnytsa National Technical University.

He added that the drones had been certified, were very reliable and informative and met all modern requirements.

prezentaciia-bezpilotnyka-vinnyckyi-politeh-4

“This model can also be used for research and mapping purposes.” stated Professor Pavlov.

Experts estimate that one drone costs 200,000 UAH or about $ 7,000 US.

“Rex”, chief sergeant of a reconnaissance brigade was briefed on drone operations.

“A vehicle with the drone leaves for the defensive front line. There, the drone is launched from a catapult. It collects information on the location of enemy vehicles and enemy forces. When we receive information from the drone, we decide how to proceed. This device will help us survive in dangerous and difficult areas.”

According to intelligence officers, the drone can travel 15 km. This is enough for the soldiers to obtain the necessary reconnaissance information.

The study and development of reconnaissance drones were launched last spring.

prezentaciia-bezpilotnyka-vinnyckyi-politeh-2

prezentaciia-bezpilotnyka-vinnyckyi-politeh-3

prezentaciia-bezpilotnyka-vinnyckyi-politeh-5

Photos: Tetiana Kuts

Translated by: Christine Chraibi
You could close this page. Or you could join our community and help us produce more materials like this.  We keep our reporting open and accessible to everyone because we believe in the power of free information. This is why our small, cost-effective team depends on the support of readers like you to bring deliver timely news, quality analysis, and on-the-ground reports about Russia's war against Ukraine and Ukraine's struggle to build a democratic society. A little bit goes a long way: for as little as the cost of one cup of coffee a month, you can help build bridges between Ukraine and the rest of the world, plus become a co-creator and vote for topics we should cover next. Become a patron or see other ways to support. Become a Patron!

To suggest a correction or clarification, write to us here

You can also highlight the text and press Ctrl + Enter

Please leave your suggestions or corrections here


    Euromaidan Press

    We are an independent media outlet that relies solely on advertising revenue to sustain itself. We do not endorse or promote any products or services for financial gain. Therefore, we kindly ask for your support by disabling your ad blocker. Your assistance helps us continue providing quality content. Thank you!