A Ukrainian POW captured in Shakhtars'k 31st July 2014 is paraded in front of cameras. Photo: RIA Novosti
On 6 June, the NGO Myrnyi Bereh presented its report titled “Executed in Donbas” in Kyiv. Human rights activists, lawyers, and civil investigators collected information on 95 cases of intentional homicides and executions in the Donbas. “We investigate into each of those cases, the likely perpetrators are known for many of them,” the report reads.
Deputy chairman of the NGO Kateryna Vizhevska, who is one of the authors of the report “Executed in Donbas,” said that the investigation continued for more than six months. Its task is to bring the perpetrators to justice.
According to international law, the crimes included in the report are qualified as crimes against humanity and war crimes.
95 executed in Donbas
The report provides the statistic information concerning 95 cases of murders in the Donbas, which are documented and investigated by the NGO Myrnyi Bereh.
The cause of death. According to the investigation results, an execution or firearm murder caused the death in 63 cases, 16 of the executions were preceded by torture or violence. Tortures caused death in 18 cases.
The time of the murder. According to the investigators, 43 death cases occurred during detention, 20 more when the victims were held in illegal captivity.
Suspects by identity. According to the report “Executed in Donbas,” members of so-called DNR are suspected in 49 murders, members of so-called LNR are alleged perpetrators of 30 deaths. Unfortunately, the conditions of war have led to the territory of lawlessness spreading to government-controlled areas as well: the report states that Ukrainian servicemen committed 11 of the 95 murders. Ukrainian servicemen are also mentioned in the report as those who committed 11 of 95 documented murders. They served in the Tornado, Aidar, and other volunteer battalions. The report’s conclusion states that judicial proceedings against them continue in Ukraine.
Gender of victims. As per the report, 84 victims were men, 11 – women.
Military vs. civilians. 50 victims were civilians, 45 were from the military.
The report reveals 9 cases of military crimes in the Donbas in 2014-2015 to illustrate what kind of crimes the NGO documents and investigates. Each case is described, victims and suspected culprits are named, legal assessment is provided.
The report is published, what’s next?
Head of the NGO Myrnyi Bereh, Hennadiy Shcherbak told Euromaidan Press that all the collected information is entered into a special database.
The database includes information about the 10,000 victims of the war in the Donbas, both civilian and military. The victims are categorized as missing, killed and wounded persons, prisoners of war and so on. About 2,000 more of so-called militants are also put into the database.
The cases of crimes being documented and investigated by the members of the NGO are also put into the database. Each person listed in the DB is linked to the cases he or she is involved in.
The database will serve as an evidence base of the crimes and involvement of “DNR”, “LNR,” and Russia during the proceedings at the national level and the international court.
- The NGO Myrnyi Bereh is a member of the Coalition “Justice for Peace in Donbas,” an informal union of 17 human rights organizations and initiatives, combining efforts in documenting of human rights violations, committed during the armed confrontation in eastern Ukraine.
- Hague receives report on Russia’s war crimes in Ukraine
- Punishing Russia for war crimes in Ukraine is possible, but will take time
- War crimes in occupied Donbas: every second prisoner tortured, 16% witnessed executions
- Evidence on perpetrators of war crimes in Russia’s war in Donbas to be submitted to The Hague
- Compelling proof: Polish parliamentarian published report on Russian war crimes in Ukraine
- Germany’s historical responsibility towards Ukraine discussed in Bundestag
- Another warlord killed: Mystery grows as series of deaths in Russian-backed enclaves continues
- Legal war: Ukraine vs. Russia in international courts
- Crimea, Donbas, Aleppo — crimes of historic proportions
- Donbas warlord Motorola killed in Donetsk
- Documents show French far-right’s involvement in war in Donbas
- Mysterious deaths of chieftains in Russian-backed “republics” since 2015 in a nutshell – #Infographic
- Ukraine: It’s not just another war!
- Beaten, drugged, electrocuted. Ukrainians tortured into “confessing” of Chechnya crimes in Russia
- Raped, tortured, buried alive: Horrific crimes of pro-Russia militia in Ukraine
- Portnikov: Kremlin “using Katyn strategy” to cover own crimes in Ukraine
- Kremlin propaganda copies Slobodan Milošević’s methods in the war against Ukraine
- Italian MP uses Russian sci-fi footage to illustrate Ukrainian “crimes”
- Ukraine vs. Russia in The Hague