The Security Service of Ukraine (SBU) says that since the beginning of 2023, it has eliminated more than 500 Russian tanks “that were shelling the positions of the Defence Forces or were trying to break through” during the battles on the eastern and southern fronts.
“Among the destroyed tanks of the aggressor country are the latest T-90 and T-90M tanks, worth almost $5 million each,” the SBU wrote.
According to the security agency, the Russian forces used the tanks en masse as part of the so-called “armored fists” to storm Avdiivka and Bakhmut in Donetsk Oblast. Also, southern Ukraine’s Melitopol and Berdiansk directions saw the deployment of Russian tanks to deter Ukraine’s counter-offensive operations.
The SBU says it carried out operations to destroy the Russian tanks jointly with the Armed Forces of Ukraine, using “a powerful arsenal of anti-tank weapons and modern unmanned aerial vehicles.”
According to the estimations by the Ukrainian Army’s General Staff, Russia has lost 5,913 tanks in Ukraine as of 27 December 2023 since the beginning of its invasion on 24 February 2022:
Russia's estimated losses in Ukraine as of day 672 of its all-out war, according to the Ukrainian Army's General Staff. pic.twitter.com/3HjuNZXTqb— Euromaidan Press (@EuromaidanPress) December 27, 2023
The Oryx blog monitoring the visually confirmed equipment losses could verify 2,585 tank losses the Russians in Ukraine.
- Reuters: Russia lost 87% of initial troops in Ukraine war, US intel says
- “Army of Drones” UAVs hit 391 Russian strongpoints in one week
- New Ukrainian surface drone joins fight in Black Sea
- Ukrainska Pravda: SBU blows up second fuel train in Russia’s Buryatia, disrupting logistics
- ISW: Russia’s current losses in Ukraine mirror rate of new force generation