“Sunday, the Seahawks lost their Superbowl in a tragic defeat.
Sunday 20 Ukrainians lost their lives in heavy shelling.”
This is how Pastor Caleb Suko, Vice President of Church Ministries Institute and resident of Odesa, Ukraine, started his latest Facebook update on February 1, 2015.
The following updates are from January 29-30 and include a letter to Russian President Putin, addressing several points of Kremlin propaganda:
Ukrainian troops seem to be losing ground, pray for these towns that were once peaceful and are now at the center of the fighting! #Debaltseve#Uglegorsk #Vuhlehirsk Here’s a kindergarten hit by rebel mortar fire recently.
World leaders like Vladimir Putin, the president of Russia, have great power and influence. Their decisions can lead to the life and death of thousands if not millions. It is vital that they base their decisions on truth and not lies.
As a resident of Ukraine and as a Russian speaker, I want to share these 13 truths with Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin.
1. Your soldiers are in Ukraine.
Call them back!
2. Your tanks and your guns are in Ukraine.
Pull them out!
3. The lives of innocent Ukrainian women and children are more important than your political ambitions.
Stop the bloodshed!
4. Ukraine is not Russia.
Stop trying to make it Russia.
5. Ukrainians are not Nazis or Fascists.
Stop pretending like they are!
6. Ukraine has not invaded or attacked anyone.
Stop trying to fool the world into thinking that they did!
7. I’ve never experienced the slightest persecution for speaking Russian in Ukraine.
Don’t pretend this is all about language!
8. The power you hold was given to you by God, and he can take from you, too.
Humble yourself before him before he humbles you!
9. One day you will be held accountable for all your actions, all of them!
Seek forgiveness now!
10. None of the deaths in this bloody war will ever give you whatever it is you’re really seeking.
Stop chasing after the wind!
11. There’s only one death that can give you what you really need and it’s the death of Jesus Christ.
Turn to him now!
12. Only Jesus can bring true peace to you and the Russian and Ukrainian people.
Fall on your knees before him in repentance!
13. God loves you and he’s willing to forgive you if you believe in Jesus.
Believe in him!
Editor’s Note: Pastor Suko is married to Christina, a Ukrainian native (born and raised when Ukraine was part of USSR). They have five children and feel it is an honor to serve local churches in Odesa, Ukraine.