When the employees of the famous “troll factory” in St. Petersburg return to their desks after the Russian holidays, they will be writing comments and posts on social media in much more spacious offices. As the city’s leading business daily Delovoy Peterburg reports in an investigative article published just before New Year, the 4,000 square meters of their previous address on 55, Savushkina Street have been replaced by 12,000 square meters in St Petersburg’s Lakhta business district.
The impressive threefold increase of workspace is a testimony to the success of the “factory”. As Russian RBC Daily’s investigation in April 2017 showed, the trolling activities have now branched out into a conglomerate of at least 16 different online outlets, all of which voice strong support for Kremlin’s policies, while systematically linking to each other’s products. At the same time, they carry little or no advertisement.
The owner of the “troll factory”, businessman and billionaire Yevgeny Prigozhin, has also become known as “Putin’s chef” because of his success in providing catering services for, among other clients, the Kremlin and other branches of the Russian government. Mr Prigozhin has been sanctioned by the U.S. Treasury Department for providing financial support for Russia’s military occupation of Ukraine. Delovoy Peterburg’s investigation also reveals that the owners of the new premises are contributors to President Putin’s election campaign.
- BBC: How the “DNR” special services & troll factory scare Russians with…
- Kremlin trolls exposed: Russia’s information war against Ukraine
- Russian trolls terrorize the West with old KGB methods
- Trolls on tour: how Kremlin money buys Western journalists
- The sad life of Putin’s “Troll Army”
- Facebook to counter Kremlin-style info interventions in election campaigns
- Twitter’s new policy misused by pro-Kremlin accounts to block Ukrainian bloggers
- How Russian TV-channels promote pro-Kremlin narratives in talk shows
- Inside RT and Sputnik: What is it like to work for Kremlin’s propaganda media?
- Ukraine targeted by disinformation campaign to restore “friendship” with Russia
Tags: troll factory