Ukrainian IT brain drain: where IT professionals go, and why they leave

IT Ukraine

Image: Hubs, Espreso.tv  

More

Article by: Espreso.TV
Editor’s Note
Surveying 8,117 Ukrainian IT professionals, the popular Ukrainian online IT community DOU.ua found that 4% of the poll participants had already emigrated from Ukraine and 9% were going to relocate, 43% of IT professionals were considering the possibilities of going abroad while 34% had no such plans and 8% were going to stay in Ukraine for sure, and another 2% returned home after their work abroad:

Ukrainian IT emigration moods. Infographic: dou.ua, translated by Euromaidan Press.

Click the image to enlarge it. Infographic: dou.ua, translated by Euromaidan Press.

In October, DOU.ua polled 1,633 IT specialists who had moved abroad. 90% of participants were former residents of Ukraine. Here are the findings of the poll.

The majority of IT specialists who have left Ukraine currently live in Poland (26%), Germany (19%), the USA (13%) and the Netherlands (6%).

This is according to the results of a survey from DOU, popular Ukrainian portal for Ukrainian IT professionals.

In the previous 5 years, the tendency of experienced and qualified IT specialists to leave Ukraine has only grown.

The majority of those who responded to the questionnaire left Ukraine not long ago: 19% emigrated less than a year ago, 38% have lived outside the country for between 1 and 2 years, and 35% left between 3 and 5 years ago. Only 8% of participants in the survey left Ukraine longer than 5 years ago.

Infographic: dou.ua, translated by Euromaidan Press.

Infographic: dou.ua, translated by Euromaidan Press.

47% of the respondents who left more than 5 years ago have not yet reached 25 years of age. 16% of them are still studying or are studying while working, and 12% did not work in IT before they left Ukraine. Thus they were either students, or had just begun to work. Among those who left less than 5 years ago, only 24% were younger than 25 years of age.

The largest age cohort of those who left Ukraine in the last 5 years consists of people between 26 and 30 years of age (42% of respondents). Those between 31 and 35 years old form nearly a quarter of the respondents. Only 6% are still studying or began to work only after leaving the country. Only 2% began to work in IT only after leaving the country.

Of those who left longer than 5 years ago, 70% actively and independently searched for means to emigrate, and of these, about half (34% of the overall sample) were relocated by the companies they worked for. This influenced which countries the IT specialists moved to: of those who left longer than 5 years ago, most left for Western countries – the USA, Germany, or the Netherlands. In more recent years IT specialists have emigrated primarily to Central Europe: Poland mostly, followed by Lithuania and Estonia.

Infographic: dou.ua, translated by Euromaidan Press.

Infographic: dou.ua, translated by Euromaidan Press.

The principal reason for leaving has been revealed to be a desire for a peaceful and secure life for oneself and one’s family (62%). The second most-frequently cited reason was a desire to live in another country and another culture (58%).

Only 5% of respondents had a strong desire to return to their homelands. 19% of those asked said they definitely would not return to their country and 42% would prefer not to return. 26% had not decided whether or not to return.

IT jobs

Infographic: dou.ua, translated by Euromaidan Press.

More than 90% of the respondents are IT specialists from Ukraine, but among the remaining less-than-10% are some IT specialists from Russia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, and Uzbekistan.


Read more:

Translated by: Peter Koropey

Edited by: Yuri Zoria

Source: Espreso.tv

Dear readers! Since you’ ve made it to this point, we have a favor to ask. Russia’s hybrid war against Ukraine is ongoing, but major news agencies have gone away, which is why it's extra important to provide news about Ukraine in English. We are a small independent journalist team on a shoestring budget, have no political or state affiliation, and depend on our readers to keep going (using ťhe chance - a big thank you to our generous supporters, we couldn't make it without you). We are now $5,000 short of our financial goal and need your support to continue working. If you like what you see, please help keep us online with a donation!

Tags: , ,