According to the Air Force, Ukrainian anti-aircraft missile units and mobile fire groups were involved in repelling the air attack. The mobile fire groups include small detachments equipped with machine guns or anti-aircraft guns, and searchlights. While the air attacks are ongoing, the Ukrainian Defense Forces deploy such groups along the route of the Shahed drone movement.
One killed in Odesa
Odesa Oblast Head Oleh Kiper reported that one civilian was killed in the region as a downed Russian drone crashed in a residential area.
According to Kiper, Odesa Oblast air defenders shot down nine Shahed-136 “kamikaze” drones.
“However, one of the downed drones crashed into a residential area in Odesa district and exploded. It destroyed residential homes and a warehouse of a private sports facility, and started a fire. Rescuers quickly extinguished the fire. A dead person was found in one of the houses,” Kiper wrote.
He says today’s attack was the third Russian attack that targeted Odesa Oblast over the last week.
Khmelnytskiy Oblast authorities said two of the drones were destroyed in the skies of the region.
“The wreckage of one of them damaged a detached house, causing the roof to catch fire. There were no reports of injuries or deaths,” the Khmelnytskyi Regional Military Administration reported.
Kherson and Zaporizhzhia authorities did not report any damage specifically linked to the Russian air attack. However, a Russian artillery strike on central Kherson City at 10:20 on 17 December claimed the life of an 81-year-old local man, according to the authorities.
- Drones attack Russia’s tactical bomber base in Rostov Oblast (updated)
- Ukraine starts mass production of 750 km range “kamikaze” drones
- Ukraine launches drone attack on multiple sites in occupied Crimea
- Ukraine downs 30 of 31 Shahed drones in night attack, many with machine guns
- Ukraine dismantles hi-tech contraband ring that used drones for smuggling cigarettes and monitoring border patrols
- Russian explosive drone crashes in Romania, NATO doesn’t see attack as intentional