A 56-year-old Ukrainian truck driver who was waiting to cross the border into Ukraine died in a parking lot near Korczowa, Poland. This was reported to Ukrinform by Volodymyr Mykhalevych, chairman of the NGO International Road Carriers of Ukraine.
“Today, I was informed that our ADR (dangerous cargo, – Ukrinform.) driver, who had been standing in line to cross the border for almost three days, died at night in a parking lot near Korczowa. The man was born in 1967. The Polish police say it was a natural death, but the circumstances are still being investigated,” said Mykhalevych.
The first death amid the ongoing Polish trucker border blockade occurred on 11 November, when a 54-year-old truck driver from Ukraine died in Poland in a parking lot near the Dorohusk-Yagodyn checkpoint, where he was stranded waiting to cross the border.
Polish carriers began their protest on 6 November, demanding that the Ukrainian government reinstate the practice of issuing permits for Ukrainian carriers, which was abolished by an agreement with the European Union until 30 June 2024. The protesters want the agreement terminated and the permit regime restored from 1 January 2024.
The strike halted traffic at three border crossing points between Poland and Ukraine: Dorohusk-Yahodyn, Korczowa-Krakovets, and Hrebenne – Rava-Ruska. Huge queues of Ukrainian trucks have formed at the border. In some places, they reach 40 kilometers in both directions and Polish parking lots have become a place of temporary residence for many drivers.
- Ukraine Border Service: Ukraine-Slovakia border unblocked
- Protests by Polish carriers cause truck congestion at Ukrainian-Polish border crossings
- Expert: Immediate lift of border blockade vital for Ukraine-Poland economies
- Slovak carriers threaten to join Poland in blocking Ukrainian border
- Polish truckers reject Ukraine’s compromise offers, continue strike
- Border blockade by Polish drivers “damaging for all,” Ukrainians say
- Polish carriers block three border crossings with Ukraine
- Police broke up Polish farmers’ blockade of Ukrainian grain