“We know that [the US] tested climate weapons in Vietnam. So of course, these developments are underway,” the State Duma deputy also said.
The MP’s statements were relayed by a number of Russian outlets, among them RIA Novosti and Vesti.ru. Both these state-controlled media failed to include facts or opinions that would have challenged the MP’s claims.
EUvsDisinfo has earlier documented how different climate conspiracy theories have appeared in pro-Kremlin media.
- Climate change has been presented as an evil scheme by “the British Empire” to reduce the population of the planet.
- The West has been accused of inventing the “climate hoax” to stop Russia’s economic development.
- The Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg has been bashed as “an illiterate, fanatic Messiah” and “an ill-informed girl”.
Different target groups
A recent survey by the independent pollster Levada shows that a majority of Russians believe that climate change is man-made.
— Maria Antonova (@mashant) January 23, 2020
Levada’s findings would indicate that large parts of Russia’s population are resilient towards conspiracy theories as to the one brought forward by the MP. This degree of healthy skepticism would be in line with the fact that trust in the state-controlled media is on a decline in Russia.
At the same time, one can only hope that none of Levada’s respondents have in mind a US climate weapon when they say that climate change is man-made.
- The Kremlin on global warming: Connecting the dots, disconnecting the facts
- This week’s pro-Kremlin disinformation: bears and drugs and climate change
- 2019: The Russian disinformation roller coaster
- Ten embarrassing moments in Russian disinformation of 2019
- Russian disinformation review: Circling the Earth
- A catalog of the Kremlin’s worst fears: This week’s Disinfo Review
- Disinformation review: The world through the eyes of the Kremlin
- On the verge of disaster: top 5 environmental problems in Ukraine