While Belarus risks to lose its sovereignty to Russia, a local pro-Russian propagandist claims that the West attempted to stage “at least six color revolutions” in Belarus to overthrow the country’s president. “All the attempts failed thanks to the support of the authorities by the society, and to the fine-tuned working mechanism of the law enforcement agencies,” he states. However, nobody but him seems to have heard about those multiple Western efforts to replace Lukashenka.
That’s according to Belarusian political analyst Alyaksandr Shpakouski, a regular contributor to the Belarusian version of Russia’s Sputnik.
Shpakouski, who failed to back up his claim with any evidence, made the allegation in an interview with the news agency RIA FAN — a project of the Internet Research Agency troll factory in St. Petersburg.
He explained that a network of “local collaborators” had actively participated in the attempts to provoke an uprising, although he did not elaborate on their identity.
These attempts allegedly failed due to what Shpakouski describes as strong public support for authorities and the “efficient working mechanism of law-enforcement agencies.”
The West, according to him, has since shifted strategy and is now focusing on influencing Belarusian public opinion through media, NGOs and agents, and on infiltrating the state.
The solution for Belarus?
Ironically, Shpakouski also calls for better “information hygiene” and fewer “lies.”
We couldn’t agree more.
- Zapad 2017: War Games in Russia, Belarus – and Vaisnoria
- Belarus already under Russian troll attack designed to give Moscow a base for further aggression
- Russian State TV Broadcasts Staged Interview
- When Moscow talks of ‘deep integration’ of Belarus, it means annexation, Lukashenka says
- Three telling poll results from Belarus
- Lukashenka tells Putin’s new man in Minsk: ‘Belarus will not ever be part of Russia
- Moscow officials currently preparing for Anschluss of Belarus, Larionov says
- West’s paramount task is to prevent Belarus from being swallowed up by Russia
- Moscow pursuing ‘forced integration’ of Belarus into Russia now, Sivitsky says
- Struggle for Belarus: Minsk is promoting Belarusianization; Moscow, re-Sovietization
- ‘Belarusians aren’t Russians and never will be’
- Belarusian state propaganda advocates mass repression
- Russia’s propaganda efforts may mean it is ‘too late’ to save Belarus, Shymansky says
- Propaganda contractors: Russian state TV airs staged interview to denigrate Ukraine