On Tuesday, June 3, during the course of the antiterrorist operation (ATO), the northern part of Luhansk Oblast was completely cleared of terrorists, reports a statement on the official website of the Acting President and Chairman of Verkhovna Rada Oleksandr Turchynov.
“The bases and military camps of the militants in this region were destroyed, their main fortified area in the village of Semenivka was seized, and control over the city of Chervonyy Lyman was established. In addition, the military has begun blocking the borders north and south of the Luhansk Oblast,” the statement says.
This information had been reported to Turchynov by the leadership of the Antiterrorist Operation (ATO), the statement says.
According to Turchynov, units with the largest numbers of fighters were destroyed, which means that “in the near future there will be the possibility of freeing the central Donbas area from terrorists.”
Earlier Tuesday, the Minister of Internal Affairs Arsen Avakov reported that the active offensive phase of ATO has begun.
As reported by Espreso TV, Ukrainian forces have destroyed more than 300 terrorists during battles while suffering two casualties.
Translation: Anna Mostovych