Supporters of the Donetsk Republic (DNR) have been building their dream state for two weeks now. Here is the list of their impressive achievements.
1. In Sloviansk, a town controlled by the separatists, Gypsy pogroms are underway.
2. Anti-Semitic leaflets appeared in Donetsk. DNR leaders claimed this a provocation, however we all know the truth. It suffices to talk to the people in pro-Russian demonstrations in order to understand how popular the anti-Semitism ideas are among them.
3. Journalist Sergiy Lefter and Maidan activist Irma Krat have been taken hostage in Sloviansk. The gentlemen wrapped a plastic bag around the woman’s head.
4. All banks and jewelry stores in Sloviansk have been closed. Marauders periodically rob the grocery stores. Three cases of robbery have already been recorded. Here is the Mayor’s comment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtxch7g-g5A
5. In Horlivka, where the militants went on the rampage in the local department of internal affairs and paralyzed the work of the police, masked people started paying visits to entrepreneurs and wheedling peoples savings through torture. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7wmMUSKXLo
6. On the streets of Donetsk, Horlivka, Sloviansk and Torez, bypassers are beaten up. There are so many cases of this that nobody records them, and the victims do not go to the police since it is not working anyway. Only yesterday two people I know were beaten up and robbed in Torez and Donetsk.
7. In Torez an office of local independent newspaper “Pro gorod” [About city] was set on fire. The separatists applauded this news during their demonstration. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=resFMUvtAmk
To be continued. Welcome to Somalia.
Translated by Katherina Smirnova, edited by Mariana Budjeryn.