The Wikipedia entry states that on April 7, 2014, a group of individuals–supporters of federalism who seized control of the Donetsk Oblast State Administration building–proclaimed that the so-called Donetsk People’s Republic was a separate state, reports Espreso.TV.
In the Donetsk Oblast Council building they had occupied, the separatists read a declaration on the sovereignty of the Donetsk People’s Republic that dealt specifically with the government of the newly formed state.
“The people of the Donetsk National Republic may be represented only by the Supreme Council of the Republic. Key state issues pertaining to the development of the republic and its relations with other states will be submitted to public discussion or referendum.”
According to the document, the current control center of the republic is the Donetsk Oblast Council building, over which a Russian flag has been raised. Inside are deputies of the so-called people’s council of the republic, who have already adopted a number of decisions, including a decision to hold a referendum on joining Russia no later than by May 11. These deputies announced they had agreed on the date together with the Luhansk and Kharkiv oblasts.
The people’s council also asked Russia’s President Vladimir Putin to send peacekeeping troops on the territory of the Donetsk People’s Republic.
However, the Donetsk city council announced that it does not recognize any “People’s Council of Donbas,” which had announced the creation of the “Donetsk People’s Republic.”
The press service of the city council issued a statement announcing that any proclamation of a Donetsk republic is illegal.
“Due to the events associated with the seizure of the building of the Donetsk Oblast council and other administrative buildings in the city, along with announcements about meetings of authorized city representatives where decisions were made about the fate of the Donetsk Oblast, we announce that:
- The Donetsk City Council and nine district councils in the city are not authorizing anyone to participate in such meetings.
- The Donetsk City Council and district councils continue their appropriate work. We believe our main task is to ensure the peaceful continuation of city functions.
- Regarding the armed provocations on city territory, we call on all citizens to maintain law and order. We strongly urge all citizens not to engage in illegal activities.
- We have informed the leaders of the protests taking place near the oblast council building that they must surrender captured weapons immediately in order to prevent bloodshed.
- All conflicts must be resolved legally. We have supported and continue to support a constructive resolution of all differences at the negotiating table.”
As Expreso.TV reported earlier, separatist want to conduct a so-called referendum in Donetsk on May 11 “or earlier.”
Translated by Anna Mostovych